The news is inundated with stories of accidents and unexpected illnesses that effect people every day. Have you ever thought about what would happen if you were suddenly unable to speak for yourself? The following are five questions you should have the answer to for not only your peace of mind, but for your family’s peace of mind.
- Who do you want making decisions for you?
- What kind of decisions would you want them to make?
- Would you want to be kept alive on life support or would you prefer comfort care only? Or something in between?
- Are you comfortable leaving your loved ones to try and figure out what you would want?
- Are you certain if your loved ones aren’t there that your healthcare provider is aware of your wishes?
If you haven’t completed a directive, you’re not alone. According to a study conducted in late 2011 by the California Healthcare Foundation, while 82% of Californians say it’s important to have end of life care wishes in writing, only 23% say they have done so. An Advance Healthcare Directive is a very simple form that can be completed quickly and it gives you a chance to make your wishes known. This way your loved ones don’t have to guess about how to handle tough decisions related to your health. You get the peace of mind that they are following your guidance and they don’t have to worry whether they’ve made the right decisions.
We think this is so important that we’re offering free, 30-minute Advance Healthcare Planning Sessions throughout the county in honor of National Healthcare Decisions Day (April 16). Trained counselors can assist you in updating or completing your Advance Healthcare Directive. We are also offering two Planning Ahead for Peace of Mind forums to provide information that might be helpful as you are planning for your future or the future of your loved ones.
Planning Ahead for Peace of Mind - Free educational forums featuring experts on:
• Understanding Wills and Trusts
• Completing Advance Healthcare Directives
• Finding and Choosing the Care You Want
• Funeral planning
Planning Ahead Forums
- 4/13 7:00 pm - 8:30 pm at St. Philip’s Episcopal Church, 5271 Scotts Valley Dr.
- 4/17 10 am – 12:00 pm at Community Foundation, 7807 Soquel Dr., Aptos
Advance Healthcare Directive Workshops
- 4/13 Advance Healthcare Directive workshop 2-4 pm Dominican Oaks 3400 Paul Sweet Rd. in Santa Cruz near Dominican Hospital
- 4/14 Advance Healthcare Directive workshop 1-3pm Mountain Community Resource Center, 6134 Highway 9 in Felton
- 4/15 Advance Healthcare Directive workshop 1-3pm Arbor Cove at 84 Blackburn St. in Santa Cruz on the Westside
- 4/16 Advance Healthcare Directive workshop 1:30-4pm Scotts Valley Senior Center at 370 Kings Village Rd. in Scotts Valley
- 4/16 Advance Healthcare Directive workshop for Spanish speakers 10am – noon at Hospice of Santa Cruz County’s Center for Compassionate Care located at 65 Nielson St. #121 in Watsonville, on the campus of the Watsonville Community Hospital.
- 4/17 Advance Healthcare Directive workshop 10am - noon Watsonville Community Hospital Senior Circle located at 75 Nielson St. in Watsonville
- 4/18 Advance Healthcare Directive workshop 10am – noon Community Foundation located at 7807 Soquel Dr. in Aptos
Please call ahead to reserve your spot: 831.430.3078.